Graphic Designers with an iPhone or iPod Touch will find a wide range of free resources available. These free graphic design resources are an ideal way for a designer to learn new techniques or keep abreast of industry news while commuting or travelling, while at the gym or any other time when an iPhone or iPod is the main form of entertainment.
Wide Ranging Resources
The free graphic design resources include free apps, ‘lite’ versions of paid for apps, podcasts, videocasts and even special content that has been provided by Universities from around the world. There are also many paid for resources available including paid for apps, audiobooks and other content.
Free Graphic Design Resources for iPods and iPhones
Here are a few free graphic design resources for the iPod Touch and iPhone. These are available from the iTunes store. Graphic design resources fall within many iTunes categories therefore the best way to find resources is to use the search function and search for ‘graphic design’. The quickest way to find the resources listed below is to type the name into the iTunes search function.
- Design and Designing from the Open University – explains different elements of design and how design ideas translate into tangible products, including a look at significant design icons from the past.
- Graphic Design from Rock Valley University – a series of podcasts looking at key graphic design software tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Quark and Acrobat.
iPod and iPhone Apps
- SketchBook MobileX – free version of the award winning Sketchbook Mobile application. A popular drawing tool with many features including layers.
- Abduzeedoo – this is an app featuring the well known design blog. This is ideal for both inspiration and tutorials.
- The Business of Design – the companion application to the book by the same name.
- Think Ink: Color Unleashed – an application dedicated to design and color, using the Dewey system.
- Graphpedia – a design blog that specializes in Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator tutorials.
- Typography Junkies – an application dedicated to fonts and typography.
Podcasts and Videocasts
- Photoshop User TV – a videocast TV show from the National Association of Photoshop Professionals. This covers a different subject every week.
- MacFormat – from the magazine of the same name. The podcast presents thirty minutes of news and views about all things to do with Apple Macs.
Free graphic design resources for iPods and iPhones can be a great way to learn more and to keep up to date about new developments in the world of graphic design.